From:
John Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:59:06 -0400

Greetings to all you helpful Celiac list members!

My apologies for being so slow to summarize your wonderful response to my query on the gluten-free status of Kahlua. I wrote, with some urgency,  on the evening of August 20 that my very fine friend and her husband had prepared a gluten-free special 35th Anniversary dinner for us and that they'd brought Kahlua for a dessert drink and I needed to know if I could drink it. Before we got to dessert, your responses poured in, amazing us all.

Twenty-one of you said that Kahlua was indeed gluten-free. Someone said it was her favorite drink with potato vodka (Black Russian). One said, "Bottoms up!"  Another said she likes Kahlua with almond milk (soy or rice milk was good also) and a little coffee over ice or blended with ice. Another wished us "Happy Anniversary!"  And yet another gave me a great web site where it lists Kahlua as gluten free.  This site is http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=271 .  Trying this site, I saw other drinks I've been avoiding for years!  Many, many thanks to all of you for making our special Mexican Anniversary dinner complete.

By the way, my friend, who is a superb cook, made us the following after dinner drink.  She used Kahlua, hot milk (cream or half and half would work as well, she said), cinnamon and decaf coffee to make what she called Mexican Coffee. Mmm!

Muchas Gratias!!

Kathie-Ann
Celiac in NH