From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:30:27 -0500

Happy Thursday Everyone!

For the newbies to the list and for those who don't remember me, I'm the
pitiful, whiney one who couldn't make a loaf of bread that didn't weigh
20 pounds or require a spoon to eat the crumbs. Well, I seem to have hit
on a good sandwich bread recipe - and all the credit goes to all of you
who responded to my plea for help (and a special thanks to Dave Taylor
and Red Star). After collecting everyone's suggestions, I came up with
the following recipe: (Please keep in mind that tastes differ!)

Wet ingredients:
3 large eggs
1 tsp. gf vinegar
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. + 2 Tbs. water (I actually used less than 1 c.)

Dry ingredients:
3 1/4 c. gf flour mixture (Bette Hagman's mix, but using brown rice
flour instead of white rice flour, potato starch flour, tapioca flour)
2 1/2 tsp. guar gum (xantham gum may be substituted)
2 to 2 1/2 Tbs. sugar (I don't like a sweet sandwich bread, so I always
   use a little less than a recipe calls for)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. dry milk (I use Vitamite, which is lactose free)
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 pkg. Red Star)

Mix wet ingredients; sift and mix dry ingredients, except for the yeast.
Add yeast after the dry ingredients have been sifted and mixed - stir to
distribute yeast. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir by
hand (I used a wooden spoon - as someone noted in their suggestion) for
approx. 3 minutes. I spread the batter in 7 mini loaf pans and 3 English
muffin rounds sprayed with Pam and placed on two cookie sheets. You can
buy the foil mini loaf pans at the grocery store. I would rather have
had the round foil mini pie pans, but couldn't find them. I spread the
batter approx. 1" deep (or less) as I wanted to be able to split the
loaves lengthwise and not have thick slices. Place in a warm place and
let rise for approx. 1 hour.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Be sure to watch
closely, so your loaves don't over brown or get dry. Drop them out on a
cooling rack. When cool, split the loaves lengthwise and place each loaf
in a sandwich bag. Place all sandwich bags in a larger freezer bag and
toss in the freezer. I found that by freezing the loaves this way, I
could reuse the sandwich bags for my next batch of bread and save on
plastic wrap.

Though this bread tastes better when warmed for 7 secs or so in the
microwave, it's perfectly acceptable without warming - just not as soft.
It's also great buttered and toasted in a skillet - my mother was
southern, so we often ate skillet toast growing up.

I hope others who've not had success will find this recipe something
they can use and enjoy. Thanks again to everyone who made this a triumph
for me!

Ayn.

Topeka, Kansas

PS - My Regal bread machine is for sale...anyone interested?  ;))