From:
"Christine R. Childs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 15:11:50 -0600

This is a recipe from Reader's Digest Cook Now, Serve later, cookbook.
It was easily adaptable to the gluten free diet, and quite good (by my
non-celiac taste buds!).

1 tablespoon butter
2 medium-size onions, chopped
2 bell peppers (sweet red peppers work well)
1/4 c gluten free chicken broth
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 clove minced garlic
2 cups cooked rice (we used brown rice)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1/3 cup minced parsley
salt and pepper to taste (1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper)

Topping:
1 tablespoon grated fresh parmesan
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (I used energy foods yeast free rice bread)

1. melt butter in skillet over moderate heat, add onions, bell pepper,
chicken broth.  Cook 10 minutes until vegetables are soft, covered.  Add
mushrooms and garlic, cook uncovered until the mushrooms are soft the
liquid has evaporated (about 10 more minutes). Add cooked rice, mix well.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium-size bowl, combine the
cheeses, egg, dill, parsley, salt and pepper.  Fold into the
rice-vegtable mixture (use a large bowl!). Place mixture into a buttered
9" x 9" x 2" baking pan.

3. Topping: mix bread crumbs, parmesan, and butter until well combined.
Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake uncovered, until it is set and has a
golden brown crust - about 30 minutes.

Hope someone enjoys this!
Christine Childs
The University of Montana, Missoula
(btw - for my son I used two egg yolks, no whites, and soy parmesan and
cheddar(1 cup) and no cottage cheese.  Instead of butter I used parkay
spread.)