From:
Karen-Jo Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 08:21:51 -0400

 My son Jacob has celiac. After 4 days in the Hospital due to dehydration, I
am now taking stock.  I would like to ask a few questions if I may.

1.  What did he get????  a) a hot dog from Gordon Food Service (the
ingrdients looked OK) b) Betty Crockers Fruit Roll-ups (I thought they were
OK, but of course I can't find the documentation)  c) he ate something like
those wonderful small cc cookies that they had at the picnic and will not own
up to it.  Jacob is 4..  I'm pretty sure there was not contamination from
bun/hot dog.

2.  We have been gf for 20 months, and have not had so severe a reaction.  We
have had several instances of loose stools and upset stomach that we thought
were reactions.  Were these small instances NOT reactions, and the big one
was????  I should mention that Jacob had the celiac blood work done twice
since September because the MD is trying to see if monitoring by blood work
is an alternative.  Both tests were negative.

3. When we do have a severe reaction, is there anything to do that would keep
Jacob out of the hospital?  Incidentally, when Jacob is dehydrated he WILL
drink.  It doesn't stop the dehydration at all.  Sort of ties in with the
water thing, huh?

4. Does anyone know about the POHI program in the schools?  I think it stands
for Physical and other Health Impairments.  There is a classroom available at
every grade level, and they tell me that these children eat lunch with aids
who make sure they are eating what they are supposed to ( or not eating what
they are not supposed to?)

ANY input would be appreciated.  Jacob starts school next year and I am
paniking at this point -- I thought we would have things together by the time
he went to school, and now I am concerned about him attending school.

Thank you in advance!
Karen-Jo Meyers
Jackson, MI USA
KarenJoM@AOL>COM