Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:38:10 -0700

Fellow Listmates,
        Thank you for you many prompt and caring replies.  I received 36 in
all.  I apologize that I can't reply to every one of them, but do want to
thank all of you for taking the time to share your information.

        The following are tallies that I came up with from your replies.
Many people suggested that following the proper diet and "rules" make a big
difference. (elevate bed, do not eat 2-4 hrsbefore bed, etc)

        As for diet, this is harder for me than  my GF diet. Leaving out
foods that are high in acid content, greasy, carbonated drinks, alcohol,
and CHOCOLATE!!!  (Plus, my GF restrictions.) Well, I suppose a glass of
water 4 hrs before bedtime should do it (IF I chew it slowly)!  Sorry,
friends, the pain persists and I am frustrated. (Maybe I'm a junk food
addict.)

        Anyhows, here's the information I accumulated from the 36 responses:

GERD DIAGNOSED BEFORE CD - 15
GERD DIAGNOSED AFTER CD - 3
SYMPTHOMS OK AFTER GOING GF - 10
SYMPTHOMS NOT OK AFTER GOING GF - 6
DR SAYS REFLUX COMMON W/CD - 1
DR SAYS REFLUX NOT COMMON W/CD - 1
LISTMATES BELIEVING A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CD & REFLUX - 9
LISTMATES BELIEVING NO RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CD & REFLUX - 1
PERSONS WHO'VE ALSO EXPERIENCED STRICTURE/DILATION - 2
W/HIATAL HERNIA - 5
W/DIVERTICULITIS - 1
PROBLEM WAS LACTOSE INTOLERANCE - 1
MEDICATION USE -
        PREVACIS -6
        PRILOSEC - 6
        AXID - 1
        PROPULSID - 2
        PREDNIZONE - 1
        RANITIDINE - 1
        ZANTAC - 2

The following 5 responses (I didn't want to send out all 36) offered a
variety of information , so I've included them for you to read.  My
apologies for the lengthiness of this post. I hope you have found something
here to help you.

        Be well. Be happy!
        Nina,  Phoenix   :)

1. Nina, many celiacs have this problem. Partially due to the gas created by
small gluten accidents that tend to force the acid back up the esophagus.
Many of us use prilosec or prevacid daily. It is important to try to get
control of this.

   The two main offenders are: fat and alcohol. Both relax the sphincter at
the bottom of the esophagus in the first stage, then when the acid backs up
into it, that sphincter cramps, spasms, and creates that terrible pain in
your chest. It's a combination of a spasmed sphincter and acid irritating
your esophagus. Most likely to happen when you lie down and allow the acid
to run back up the esophagus.

   Try to avoid fatty foods and any alcohol, especially in the evening. If you
think you're gonna partake, take two Zantac 75's a half hour before, then
two more about an hour before bedtime. This is what my internist explained
to me.

2. Nina,
   I am a Registered Dietitian w. a Masters degree in Foods and Nutrition
and am also a nurse. I work at Winchester Medical Center in VA where I
handle the Outpatient Nutrition Clinic. I have been following a
gluten-free diet for about 8-9 years (or THOUGHT I was until I
subscribed to this LISTSERVE and discovered all the mistakes I'd been
making...)

   I've had GERD for about 4 years or so (I am 52 yrs old.)  My other
celiac patients also have problems w. reflux but are not all over 40
yrs. Other patients without celiac dis. also suffer GERD and  are under-
OR over- 40 yrs. I think it's become a disease of FAST-FOOD eaters
(high-fat foods.)  High fat intake, coffee drinking, "food-gulping",
sometimes overweight (not always), highly stressed people (ESPECIALLY
those over 40) seem to be more prone to the condition.

   But I agree that your observation may be correct: celiac disease seems
to increase the incidence of GERD. I've been following a gluten-free
diet and still have GERD on and off. (But I've been making many mistakes
until lately, so can't comment on whether diet helps condition.) Will be
interesting to see what others say---

3. I saw your message on the Celiac list about reflux. I just had my diagnostic
endoscopy (despite an elevated IgG level I am NOT Celiac), and the doctor
said he saw some evidence of reflux. Nothing as severe as yours, though. I've
certainly had some symptoms, including weird throat sensations, occasional
heartburn, increased burping after meals.

   I don't know whether or not reflux is associated so much with Celiac disease,
but it does seem like almost everyone I know around my age (I'm 44) has it.
Suddenly it's in the news a lot, and there are more over-the-counter
medications for it, etc. Frankly, I don't know anyone this age or older who
doesn't have it, to some extent. Maybe more exercise and a diet lower in
sugars and fats would help us all; but I do believe (and I'm not a doctor)
that it's part of growing older. We all have to be more careful about our
diets as we age, it's just a fact of life. My boyfriend and I recently gave
up pizza because neither of us can eat it without consequences anymore.

   I don't know whether or not this helps you, but rest assured that you're not
alone. There's a big population of us out there, and we're all hitting middle
age and getting reflux!!   :-)

4. My celiac daughter developed reflux from a hiatal hernia CAUSED by the biopsy
she had while the GI dr. was looking for CD. She had  a terrible time
following the biopsy with constant pain, burping and food coming back up
and/or getting stuck. I posed a similar question to yours to the list about a
year ago and several listmates wrote and suggested seeing a kinesiologist (an
advanced chiropractor) who can do adjustments on the area in question. I
happened to know someone I had seen for a back injury and took my daughter to
see this female dr. These adjustments worked miraculously well, since they
push the lining back where it is supposed to be. My daughter says she is
about 90% better after having had a series of adjustments. The very first one
took care of most of her problem. She takes Biozyme digestive enzymes, and a
HCI supplement and has an adjustment about every 2 months or so. She feels
great with practically no symptoms now.

   Another thing that most patients don't know is that the antacids do the
opposite of what they are supposed to do. What is needed in the majority of
these cases is more stomach acid, not less. So supplements of HCI and/or just
fresh lemon juice squeezed into pure water will help relieve the distress.
Zantac, prevacid, tums and all the others are doing harm, rather than good
many times in these situations since they dry up the stomach acid which is
already severely lacking. My daughter's dr. suggested that she try the lemon
juice in water after eating and see if it helped; if it does this mean you
need hydrochloric acid supplements.

   Hope this helps a little; as usual if you rely on traditional medicine for
anything other than surgery, you are going to get nowhere. You have to branch
out and try other healers and herbal/homepathic remedies if you want to get
help. I speak from experience on this one; if I hadn't been desperate with my
own condition and then my daughter's I would not have looked beyond the stiff
formality and ignorance of the US medical system. Now that I have done so, I
am well and so is my daughter. If we had stayed with mainstream medicine
there is no telling where we would be today, but "well" would not even be a
consideration!

5. Go to www.paleodiet.com
You will discover that you are still eating something that you are allergic to.
Only eat meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds. REAL FOOD
Stay away from refined grains, dairy, sugar and oils (except olive and
coconut).

The best book is Neanderthin:
www.sofdesign.com/neander
A new edition will be ready in Nov.
In the mean time read all you can in the paleodiet area.
And you will not need the antacids!

I have been eating this way for about 2 years and never have felt better!
You will never look back!