From:
Cliff Blaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 22:29:12 EDT

Thanks to all the listmates out there who responded to my post about celiac,
short stature and growth hormone.

There was a wide diversity of experiences and opinions expressed regarding
growth hormone treatments for our 14 year old son who was diagnosed with CD
in December 2000, has been GF since then, is 4'10" tall, and doesn't seem to
be growing much.  He was recently diagnosed as being growth hormone deficient
as well.

Seven responses came from parents of celiac children, eager to hear what
information we received, for them to apply in their own situations.

Six people stated that it could take anywhere from one year to three years on
a GF diet for the small intestine to be completely repaired.  One reminded us
that it usually takes several months for a newly-diagnosed Celiac to get
"good" with the diet, and another stressed how important it is for our son to
be "strict" with the diet.  (He is.)

Six people indicated that boys continue to grow throughout their teens,
sometimes right up to age 20.

Five people contacted us whose children were diagnosed with CD due to short
stature.  In most cases,  short stature was their only symptom.

One person doubted that CD could possibly be the cause of the problem since
she knows a Celiac who is 6' 3"

We received five responses from celiacs who were short at the time of their
diagnoses, did NOT take growth hormone, and are now satisfied with the growth
they've achieved.

Several people recommended against growth hormones, but only two of them had
any personal experience with hormones.  One of them had taken hormones, and
didn't notice any difference.  One recounted the story of a friend, now in
his 50's, who took hormones, was satisfied with the resulting growth, but
eventually became unable to raise his arms over his head and blamed that
condition on the growth hormones.

Several people related connections they had heard between growth hormone and
cancer or other diseases.  (I'd like to point out at this time that the
growth hormone which was administered years ago was from cadavers, and did
occasionally result in a number of negative side effects.  The hormones now
being used are recombinant forms, and although they have been used only for
the last 5 or so years, have not produced the same number of negative
complications)

Five people said they would be in favor of using growth hormones, but did not
have any personal experience with them.  Three people responded saying they
had used growth hormone, and were satisfied with the results.

Three people advised us to have X-rays done, to determine our son's bone age.
We've already done that, and according to his bone age, he's got an
additional year in which to grow.  One person recommended we have an MRI done
to check the pituitary.  We've done that and it came back "normal."

One person recommended Vitamin E to stimulate natural growth hormone
production and another the B Vitamins.

Two individuals recommended we consult with Dr. Alesio Fasano, a pediatric
gastroenterologist who is well-versed with Celiac Disease in kids.  We will
be doing that.  In the meantime, we're all trying to be patient, stay cool,
and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the good wishes expressed.

Cliff B.

Tenafly, N.J.