From:
Burgess Cyndee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:00:15 -0500

This may be old news to everyone, but our local doctor brought to my
attention an article  in the October issue of the New England Journal of
Medicine regarding a very extensive study showing that celiacs eating up to
50 grams of oats a day for a period of a year had no damage to the intestinal
villi.

This was good news to my husband, who has been diagnosed as a celiac (severe
case) since January, and had been restricted to rice and corn as the only
grains he could consume.  Accordingly, he celebrated Thanksgiving with this
delicious GF treat:

Cranberry Bars

1 C. Rice Flour
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C. Rolled Oats
1/2 C. Butter
4 Drops Almond Extract
1 16oz Can of Whole Cranberry Sauce
   (Make sure it's made with just corn syrup & contains no modified food
starch)

Combine flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, oats, and almond extract.  Cut in
shortening as for pastry.  Pat half the mixture into an 8x8 inch baking pan.
 Spread cranberry sauce over it, then top with the rest of the oat mixture.
 Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes.

By the way, we love this list!  We live in a very isolated area in New
Mexico, so are unable to join a conventional support group.

Cyndee Burgess
"ELKHORN [log in to unmask]"