From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:09:01 -0700

Dear Listmates,

We are suckers for looking at gluten-free cookbooks, at least the kind that
show up at our public library. We bring them all home and really look them
over. In rare instances we make a recipe from them. Many of what we see are
ho-hum, at least in our opinion. There might be one or two interesting
recipes, but for the most part there is nothing all that different or all
that inspiring. This time there were two exceptions.

Kelli and Peter Bronski, a couple from Colorado, have authored three other
books, none of which we've seen, but they are advertised in their latest
cookbook *Gluten Free Family Favorites*, from The Experiment Publishing
Company, New York ( www.theexperimentpublishing.com ). This cookbook
contains lots of photos showing how-to, and a number of interesting
recipes. The production value is very high: As an accomplished baker Kelli
makes beautiful foods, and it appears that the family did its own
photography.  Although grilled cheese sandwiches are prosaic, pupusa
pockets, for example, is not. Nor is tofu popcorn, which actually sounds
pretty good. The book also tells you how to make fig newtons that are
gluten-free. Theirs are called Fig Einsteins (definitely a step up from Sir
Isaac). Each recipe offers suggestions to make the recipe egg-free and/or
corn-free, soy-free, dairy-free or vegan as appropriate. You can visit
their website( www.nogluten-noproblem.com ), and you can preview their
cookbooks from links to Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Carla Reed ( Forkandbeans.com ) has authored a dairy, egg and gluten-free
cookbook that is totally focused on scrumptious goodies. *Decadent
Gluten-Free Vegan Baking* starts out with recipes for favorite Girl Scout
cookie look-alikes and then continues with a number of familiar cookies.
One of the interesting offerings is Death By Chocolate Muffins. It contains
an unexpected ingredient: pumpkin. We're going to definitely try this one,
but we will use our home-made kabocha puree. We also like the looks of the
focaccia recipe as well as the delicious photo of the focaccia in action as
a pizza. This recipe might turn into calzone if the dough is pliable. One
of the selling points of this cookbook is a wonderful binding that allows
pages to open flat. This cookbook is also available on Amazon.

What we are seeing is that overall gluten-free products are getting better
and better. In terms of gluten-free cookbooks, these two have reached new
heights.

Just to note, we don't have a financial interest in either.

Vic-Sunnyvale