From:
Jeanne Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanne Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2018 07:26:02 -0600

My family is on the verge of booking a river cruise along the Rhine.  I have never taken a cruise or even been to Europe.  Time is running short to book and I just got the disclaimer form they make “GUESTS WITH FOOD ALLERGIES” sign.  It makes me seriously nervous.  I put “celiac(not an allergy)”.
I will quote the disclaimer:
The food preparation areas of our ships are not conducive to preparing meals without some sort of cross-contamination including, but not limited to, exposure to nuts and gluten.  If you require your meals prepared in a nut-free, gluten-free, or any other type of allergy-free environment, we apologize in advance that we are unable to accommodate your needs.
Yikes!  I realize every time I go to a restaurant I’m pretty much getting a wee bit of cross-contact but I hate having it spelled out to me so harshly by someone I will rely on for a week of food.

I hate to be the party pooper of the family but jeez that’s a serious disclaimer.  I called the cruise line to inquire whether I would be able to meet with the chef or tour the galley since that’s what I noticed people did on other cruise lines for which I found reviews.  They told me the wait staff would get to know my needs and blah, blah, blah.  Not too reassuring.
Thoughts?  Brother is pacing waiting for my decision...
Jeanne