From:
Beverly Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 09:45:59 EDT

I was diagnosed in January, but had hypothyroidism for about 15 years or so.
My dose on Synthroid was very high, maxing out at .275, then coming down to
around .250 by this past January.   This is a very high dose and puts one at
more risk for osteoporosis, heart palpitations, etc.

While hospitalized in January, an endocrinologist questioned this extremely
high dose.   After a lot of questioning, he felt I wasn't taking the drug
properly, and  here I thought I was doing a good job!!  Goes to show ya!
Anyway, I would take all my usual drugs in the a.m., and my thyroid just
before bedtime, along with a calcium pill.   I knew not to take my iron with
it, so that was why I kept my Synthroid til nighttime, as I took my iron in
the morning.

Well, the biggest no-no here is that you do NOT take thyroid along with
calcium...as there is a binding problem.....(also...never take it with
iron)..... as your body does not absorb the Synthroid properly.

He told me also to NOT take it in the evening as I may have had something to
eat before bed that could also cause problems with absorption of the
drug..... like milk (calcium), etc.

So for all of you out there who may be doing this exact same thing.....he
suggested I take my pill first thing in the morning....one-half to one hour
BEFORE breakfast.   So on one of my usual nighttime trip to the bathroom,
usually the one between 4 & 6 a.m., I take it.

Now my latest blood work shows such improvement!!   I am down to .175 for
dosage.  This will help to put me at less risk for osteoporosis and other
problems.

Also, if you take calcium, which I have to take three times a day, do NOT
take the first one around breakfast, but start closer to noon.  Your body can
only absorb about 500 to 600 mg. at a time, and you usually get that with
your breakfast, particularly if you have cereal and milk.

Hope this helps some of you.

Bev
Mansfield, Ohio