From:
Brian & Tami Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:07:08 -0800

Hi everyone!

Sorry it has taken me awhile to summarize.  I've been really under the
weather.  Since my posting, 8 days ago, asking all of you for your
favorite gf breads, I've received a "bazillion" responses.  I'm still
receiving some today.  Summarizing is difficult.

But here is what you all said:

In first place:  Gluten-Free Pantry's Sandwich Bread Mix.  Kinnikinnick
breads actually tie for first place, but there were different flavors or
products mentioned.  Also, I think the GF Pantry's products are a little
bit more available.  You have to order Kinnikinnick, right?  Even in our
small town, I can buy GF Pantry's Sand. Bread Mix....so, I did, based on
your review.  It was almost $6 after tax, but yes, it is wonderful and
well worth it.

Of Kinnikinnick breads, your favorites are: The Italian Loaf, Donuts,
English Muffins, and Flax Seed.  Other products that were mentioned were
the bagels, tapioca rice bread, corn bread, waffles, and cheese bread.
So, all and all, I think that Kinnikinnick is the majority's favorite,
just not as easy to access as the Gluten-Free Pantry's products.  Note:
Someone mentioned microwaving Kinniikinnick bread to give it back it's
elasticity.

I have to laugh at how many of you mentioned EnerG's bread....it's just
funny what you say to do with it.  Some people suggest microwaving it,
using it only for stuffing, french toast, or just emergencies.
Personally, I've tried one loaf of this bread....and, um, see what you
mean.  Actually, there were quite a few of you that swore by EnerG's
tapioca bread.  One person also really liked the Seattle Brown bread and
the English Muffins.

Food For Life Breads were mentioned by 5 of you.  With the favorites
being: Pecan Raisin, and Brown Rice.  Personally, I've found this
company to be very helpful and nice.  While experimenting with other
breads, I always keep a loaf of Food For Life in the fridge, usually one
of the rice breads.  Recently I bought the Pecan Raisin and loved
it...BUT I found purple streaks throughout the loaf.  Smelled fine.
But, still, I called them and the representative told me to not eat it.
She is sending me a voucher for a free loaf.  She said it could be mold.
 This company is really helpful, they've even mailed me info on how long
to store the bread and everything.

Fourteen of you raived about Bette Hagman's recipes.  The two recipes
mostly mentioned are the Oregon Bread recipe and the Four Flour Bread
recipe.    These two recipes are found in her GF Gourmet Bakes Bread
book.  Other recipes, from this book, that you all highly recommended
are: Swedish Rye, Tapioca Bread and Four Flour Crumpets.  From Bette's
Cooks Fast & Healthy Book, your recommendations are: Biscuits, Onion
Crackers, Bean Bread and Sesame Bean Bread.

I only had one person mention Miss Robens bread and that person said
"NO!" to that bread.

Here are some other thoughts you all shared:

Gifts of Nature's GF Flour - texture closest to wheat bread
The Really Great Food Company-great mixes
Gluten-Free Pantry's-all mixes are great
Gluten-Free Pantry's-French Bread Mix
Sylvan Border Farms Brown Bread Mix-it's moist, not grainy
Gluten-Free Pantry's-Pseudo Rye
Tree of Life (bread or mix?)
Almond Flour Bread recipes-found in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and
   Lucy's Cookbook
from archives-Linda Blanchard's favorite bread recipe
Heritage Bakeries-Brown Rice Raisin
Glutano-par-baked-baguettes & rolls

Snack suggestions:

WASA's GF Rice & Corn Crackers
Glutano pretzels
Balance Bars
Glutano biscuits
Glutano Chocolate O's
Health Valley-rice bran--also good for cheesecake crust

Several of you shared your personal favorite recipes.  I won't retype
them here, unless you all wanted me to.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and sharing your favorites!
Tami
Hoquiam, WA