From:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cece Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:31:38 -0600

Sorry, this is so late but I wasn't sure how to summarize the many wonderful comments to my request for info on eating in San Francisco. My mouth is watering and I can hardly wait to get there!  Thanks for all the help.
Cece in Arkansas

Try this site:
http://celiacsupport.stanford.edu/restaurants/restaurants.htm
--------------
You can jump on the "F" street car a block or so off of Union Square (On
Market Street) and get to the Ferry Building within minutes.  I like the
Slanted Door - it's vietnamese - get a reservation if possible - or be there
right when they open - first come first serve to eat at the bar.  The
non-vegetarian spring rolls are gf, as is the dipping sauce and I've had the
Chicken and Rice Noodle stir fry (like pad thai) twice and it was fantastic.
The Ferry Building also has the Hog Island Oyster Bar - which is supposed to
be really good (if you like oysters).  There are also neat food shops there.
Can pick up cheese, fruits, etc.

You can hop on the Powell-Mason Cable Car right at Union Square (walk a few
blocks up if there's too long of a line to get on there) and get within a
few blocks of Fisherman's Wharf.  I had really good Halibut at Scoma's
once - not sure if it's in season now.  I don't like to hang out at
Fisherman's Wharf or Pier 39 in general - too touristy.  I've heard mention
on this list that A. Sabella's at the Wharf is gf friendly.

Petrale Sole is a great local fish - lots of places have it.  I had it done
really well at the Spinnaker in Sausalito - catch a ferry at the Ferry
Building.  I explained my needs and it worked out perfectly.

You can get to China Town and North Beach (Italian) on Bus 45 on Stockton
Street at Union Square.  I haven't eaten in China Town - but people do
apparently - I'm suspicious of chinese food.  But there are tons of Italian
places in North Beach that serve Risottos.  Firenze at Night was good.
North Beach Restaurant was nice too.

One of my favorites - but you may not want to hassle on transist connections
is Swan Oyster Depot, an old time lunch counter with gf clam chowder if you
can believe it.  I also saw a recipe in a cookbook and it appeared that the
crab louie salad is gf as well.    Plus you can pick among several really
fresh seafood items.

I had a wonderful steak (organic or something) at the hotel I stayed at
which is right across from the Ferry Building - Americano at the Hotel
Vitale.  They understood gf.  No problems.  It came with a memorable
risotto.
Enjoy your stay.  It's a lovely hotel (I'm staying at the St. Francis).  Ask for Kuleto's and try the restaurant in the hotel.  It's one of the best in SF.  Stick with no sauces and keep asking questions regarding how something is cooked.  I also found my gf cooking chances were better if I spoke with the restaurant before my meal and/or tried to get in at a later time.
There are a ton of Asian & Mexican resturants nearby.  I like SE Asian, because they don't use Soy Sauce much.  Anyway, the Cheesecake Factory is in the Macy's building on Union Square.

Farallon is located just off of Union Square and has great food and a unique
atmosphere.  They were very helpful with GF reqeuests.
www.farallonrestaurant.com