From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:31:14 -0500

I have tried not to post a response to all the negative comments about the
news of a possible enzyme pill or vaccine that may help Celiacs in the
future, but I can't sit by any longer and read these messages and not get
all stirred up inside.  I'm fortunate in that I do not have CD.  My
5-year-old son does.  And I hope with all my heart that one day he will be
able to lead a relatively normal life that doesn't separate him from the
food table where everyone else sits.  I can't possibly know what those of
you who have have years of misdiagnoses have gone through or the trauma your
bodies have suffered.  I can only see the look in my son's eyes of hoping
that he, too, will be able to eat like everyone else.

As a community, if we continue to shoot down any possible hope that is
offered, why should the scientific world even bother to help us?  I know if
I were a researcher on this list serve, I'd wonder if my work is welcomed at
all by the very folks I'd be hoping to help.  I am not a scientist, however,
and therefore I cannot possibly guess at the future sucesses or failures or
complications from what comes out of  the research currently being
conducted.  I can only cheered the efforts on and would hope that we can all
do the same, even if we choose not to participate in whatever comes of it.

As far as the concern some have over the effects of a possible pill, I can
only say that I have taken Lactaid pills for my lactose intolerance and have
not experienced any problems whatsoever.  Not all medication is bad and to
lump this unknown "pill" in with others that do indeed have severe side
effects is a shame at this early stage.  Perhaps we should wait until we
actually have something to judge.