Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 15:34:30 -0700

So many celiacs seem to have problems taking antibiotics -- I can take only
Bactrim (Septra) and the new faster working Zithromax -- that I wonder why
a concerned doc, who cared about our welfare, couldn't inject them
intramuscularly as they used to in the fifties.

When I was young in the 1950's all the antibiotics I took were in the form
of a shot in shoulder or butt. They worked efficiently and well. I remember
them as working better than the pills. I never had a bad reaction to them,
nor did I ever hear of any of my friends doing so. I know some were
allergic and had very bad reactions, but that can be screened for ahead of
time.

In the hospital they give antibiotics IV still. Again they seem to work
well, and they don't seem too concerned with bad reactions. Why not just
give us a shot and send us home with no messed up GI tract. Or is that too
easy.

I understand that the purpose of bureaucracies is to resist efficiency and
change, but in my simplistic logic this would seem to help. Just wondering.
-vance