From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 22:57:24 -0700

Hi all,
support of it, I would like you to consider an idea I have on the subject.
By avoiding complex carbohydrates, and going with simple sugars, especially
with a permeable intestine, there will be nothing to mitigate a rapid
influx of sugars into the bloodstream. This could result in insulin over-
production. The net result would be a brief stage of feeling excessively
energized, including heart palpitations, and muscle tension. This would
be followed by a let-down and a recurrence of hunger. I remember going
through that cycle before, and for a few months after diagnosis. I have
looked at this book very closely, thinking it might have some answers for
me. The above is a simplistic, capsulized form of my assessment. I think
it is, at best, a diet that might initiate a self-perpetuating cycle of
hypoglycemia. At worst, it might sell the erroneous notion that celiac
disease can be cured.

This may all stem from the notion that celiac disease is a "genetic
deficiency". I do not share that perspective. I believe it is simply a
genetic difference. We do not call Eskimos genetically defective, because
they are not defective, they are the products of their genetic heritage.
The "one diet fits all" mentality of the nutrition fads of the last 30
years have expressed the attitude that underlies labelling celiac sprue
as a disease. I believe my genetic heritage is from hunter-gatherer stock.
My forbears were primarily meat eaters and berry pickers. They didn't go
in for that agriculture stuff. For anyone who has read my paper suggesting
that wheat gluten is a carcinogen, you will see that my perspective is that
my forefathers showed great wisdom in avoiding those grains. I am now trying
to follow the same wisdom, and wish I had from birth.

I do go on.
Best Wishes,
Ron HOggan