From:
Howard Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:11:20 -0800

Hi Listmates,

I received 35 replies to my post on my problem with high blood pressure.
Although most focused on the issue of diabetes, they were all very
helpful to me in dealing with this new problem. The responses are
summarized as follows:

Bad eating habits can cause diabetes-1

Gluten free diet can be a problem as baked goods are full of sugar and
fat.4

Gluten free diet may cause an autoimmune response.

Eat low glycemic  foods, eat more protein-4

Eat miso, yogurt, kimchee, probiotics

Eat fish, chicken, veggies.

Eat buckwheat and more fruit.

Eliminate squash and white rice, sodas-2

Reduce carbohydrate intake.

Reduce starches as they become sugar.2

Avoid refined sugar, eat honey, veggies and allowed grains-4

Exercise 3

Lose weight 3

Several questioned how can I have high blood sugar and not be diabetic-3

Three books were recommended,  Suzanne Somers book "Eat Right, Lose
Weight", Breaking Viscious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "Controlling
Diabetes" by Bernstein."Nurturing Traditions, by Sally Fallon,

Get and use a glucometer.3

Take vitamin supplements of E, chromium, selenium, magnesium,vanadium or
veggies that have these.-2

CD may be more likely to have high blood pressure due to our CD diet.

High Blood pressure related to age.

If sugar up then blood pressure  up too. When glucose low, blood
pressure low.

Diabetes and CD often go together.3

Now, for the update on my high blood pressure. I had been sugar free
for three weeks. On my last visit to the doctor last Wednesday the
doctor checked my blood sugar level with a glucometer and found it to be
84.I guess that is low, and pretty good. She says that I do not have
diabetes. The high blood sugar was related to my gluten free diet and my
eating too much refined sugar. That was fairly good news, although my
blood pressure was around 140/90 when she checked it. The very next day,
I felt weak, tired, no energy at all, all day and checked my blood
pressure when I got off work.It was 100/65(and I took it several times
over the course of an hour) Using my newly gained information from this
list, I ate a pear, banana and a dollop of sugar free fruit preserve
with peanut butter to bring up my glucose level as I suspected that it
was much lower than 84.  In just about 45 minutes, my blood pressure was
up to normal at 125/85. It seems that I will have to carefully manage my
sugar intake, and should not try to eliminate all sugar. I have switched
over to brown rice, sugar free sodas, stopped eating candy, reduced my
white potato intake and reduced other starches.

Thanks again to all of you who responded. I have a much better
understanding of this now and it makes it a lot easier to manage my
condition.

Howie,

Scottdale