From:
Jon Stade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 21:18:55 -0600

To the best of my knowledge, this recipe was created by my mother. This
particular mixture of seasonings was hers, at least. It is hereby released
into the public domain, but please retain the name if possible.

This is the mayonaise I grew up with and is the best I have ever had.
Isn't that how it always works? To keep it GF, it's important to make sure
the spices, oil and vinegar are not contaminated.

Beth Stade's Homemade Mayonaise
-------------------------------

Blend together:
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp paprika
a tiny dash of cayenne pepper (optional, but good. Don't use too much.)
1 tsp vinegar

With blender running at a medium-high speed, VERY SLOWLY trickle in 1/2
cup oil. I have always just used plain canola or safflower oil, but
others should work as well. This slow method allows the blender to "fluff"
the oil. It should be just barely trickling out of the measuring cup.

Add 1 tsp lemon juice.

Add another 1/2 cup oil as described above.

This recipe can be doubled. As with any real-egg mayonaise, keep it
refrigerated at all times, and don't keep it for too long. I like to keep
a 1 qt. mason jar of it in the fridge, but if I don't use it up in a given
week, I throw it out.

ciao,
Jon