From:
Nurmala Knapheide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:22:07 -0000

Hello,

I am new to this list and one of the main reasons I joined because I looking
for answers considering my case. I am not diagnosed as of yet with Celiac
Sprue because the first time I started having the symptoms of CS, I was
pregnant and could have no biopsy done and for some reason the blood test
option was not offered to me where I lived in Germany. I had a difficult
pregancy with severe low blood pressure, anemia, weight loss, diarreah,
constipation with a voluminous soft muddy stool, muscle spasms (magnesium
definciency) which in the end led to early contractions in the 7 month.
Everything turned alright in the end thank goodness. I started on a gluten
free diet, as well as a non-sugar, low carbohydrate diet, immediately
started feeling better, and could regain my strength.

I have been following the diet for almost two years already. I notice a
return to the earlier symptoms when I return to eating gluten as well. I
question however if I may not have a form of Tropical Sprue. I have been
in Indonesia more than 10 years ago, as well as Peru more than 7 years.
The odd thing is that I was in Los Angeles the time immediately before I
started having symptoms. Los Angeles does not seem to be very tropical
but I was travelling and pregnant and fell ill while I was there and
since then I have had these problems.

Tropical Sprue seems to be widely undiscovered and the causes as well. So I
wonder if in Indonesia, somehow I had been infected (judging also by the
fact that since I was in Indonesia I've had a chronic cough) and slowly, a
degenerating effect on the auto-immune system had taken place and ended with
a system collapse, while I was in LA under the strain of pregancy and
travel. The question would be is this Celiac or Tropical Sprue, i.e. could
it be treated with antibiotics? Since I have been on the diet for quiet some
time I do not even know I could diagnosed properly in order to get the
appropriate treatment. A tendency in my family to gluten intolerance is also
the case. My mother has Lupus.

Well, I am not a doctor so that's why perhaps someone else could contribute
in an open forum context to this possibility. I would be very grateful,
public or private, for your opinion.

Thanks so much,
Nurmala Knapheide