From:
Julie Dietrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:44:11 EDT

Below is the response I got from Giant (grocery store in MD, maybe
elsewhere?) about GF foods.

Julie

Thank you for taking the time to contact Giant.

We appreciate your interest in knowing about gluten in Super G products.
We can research any Super G items with which you may have a concern.  We
do not have a complete list, the products in this letter are products
which have been recently checked.  Please note that we anticipate
supplier changes in the next year, so check back with us if these items
are of continued interest.  Always read the label - ingredients change.
We cannot be held responsible for individual reactions to a product.

We have been told by our suppliers that these products are gluten free:

Bakery products
Coconut macaroons

Dairy
American sliced cheese food (yellow and white)
Cheddar cheese, regular and reduced fat
Cream cheese, all varieties
Feta cheese
Margarine, corn oil sticks
Mozzarella cheese (shredded or block)
Muenster chunk cheese
Natural slices, all except Swiss 4x4
Pasteurized processed cheese food slices
Pasteurized processed cheese products slices and shreds
Pasteurized processed cheese spread slices
Ricotta cheese, all varieties
Sour cream
Whipping cream
Yogurt

Deli
Frankfurters (beef and kosher beef)
Ham, imported (service deli)
Ham, honey, Livingston Farms (service deli)
Provolone cheese, Bel Gioioso (service deli)
Roast Beef, Italian (service deli)
Swiss cheese, domestic (service deli)
Turkey Breast, Homestyle smoked (service deli)

Frozen Citrus pops Combo cremes ice cream bars Dreamy Tofu Ice cream
(all flavors except cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough)
Ice cream bars, chocolate coated Ice cream cups, vanilla Lemonade
concentrate No-sugar added fudge bars Sherbet (all flavors) Tator tots Twin pops

Grocery
Fruit snacks
Gelatin (regular and sugar-free)
Hot Sauce
Instant mashed potatoes
15% maple syrup
Maraschino cherries
Mustard
Popcorn, Bagged butter flavored
Olives, ripe (black)
Pickle Relish
Pickles
Pie filling, cherry and apple
Pork and beans, vegetarian beans
Pudding mix (all flavors - regular and instant)
Raisins, Seedless (packaged)
Rice cakes
Sodas, all flavors
Taco seasoning
Tomato sauce (regular and no-salt added)
Vegetable shortening
Whole bean coffee (chocolate and vanilla flavor)
Worcestershire sauce

Meat
Corned beef brisket
Ham (shank, butt)
Turkey, whole (frozen and fresh)

Over the Counter Products
Buffered aspirin, coated tablets
Extra Strength calcium/antiacid tablets
Extra Strength Pain Reliever gel tabs (acetominophen)
600 mg calcium with or without D
Stress Formula with iron

Please note the following caveats from some of our suppliers:  Our
pasteurized process cheese products supplier advises that you check the
label to be sure no wheat products are added.  Our salad dressing
supplier said they could not 100% guarantee their vinegar sources, so if
you have been told by your doctor to avoid distilled vinegars with a
possible wheat base you should not use those items. The supplier for our
Super G green olives with pimento says the vinegar is distilled three
times, but can be from a wheat source.

In a distilled vinegar there is not likely to be any gluten, but some
physicians may still want you to avoid it.

Our maraschino cherry supplier also said they cannot guarantee that the
source for their flavorings won't change.

The following products have also recently been checked and contain
gluten or could be contaminated with gluten:  bagged cheddar cheese
popcorn, barbecue sauce, bulk dried fruits, catsup, corn flakes and
crispy rice cereal, grated Parmesan cheese, grated fat free Parmesan and
grated Romano blend, creamed corn, fudge bars, chocolate ice cream cups,
Neopolitan ice cream brick, mayonnaise, spaghetti sauce and vanilla extract.

If there are any other products for which you need more information please
let us know.

Thanks, again, for contacting us.  We appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Janet Tenney, M.S., R.D.

Manager, Nutrition Programs

Ref:  82831