From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 17:14:29 -0800

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?
Question:  Can Celiacs safely take nutritional supplements that boost
the immune system?

I need your help out there, guys.  It is my understanding that because
we Celiacs have an auto immune disease our immune system is over
stimulated.  Therefore, we should not take substances that stimulate our
immune system.  Is that true?  Or am I misunderstanding and that is not
a logical conclusion?  The reason I am asking is that I have just been
diagnosed with breast cancer.  In addition to the usual things
recommended by my doctor  (surgery, maybe radiation and chemo), I would
like to take a nutritional supplement made from rice bran and the
extracts from 3 kinds of mushrooms to boost my immune system.  That, in
effect, increases the number of natural killer cells in the body which,
in theory, fight any cancer that may be left.  FYI, the substance is
called MGN-3 and has been used in Japan for years as a cancer fighter.
It contains no chemicals, only natural foods (no gluten!).  I will, of
course, ask my doctor when I have surgery this week, but he is not too
savvy on CD.  I would greatly appreciate your opinion as to whether
celiacs can safely take nutritional supplements that boost the immune
system.  Thanks!
Diane