Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:37:29 EST

As long as you have a few minutes to sit in front of the computer, digesting
your turkey dinners and taking a break from family obligations, please
consider the following...

In the November 10 issue of "US News & World Report," there is an article on
page D6 in the Diversions section entitled "Bringing home the kosher bacon."
The main focus of the article is the author's (Vicky Hallett) observation that
kosher food products are becoming a gourmet and trendy addition to the
growing natural food scene.  At one point the article writes:

"The word [kosher] has become another marketing term to slap next to 'all
natural,' 'no preservatives,' and 'gluten-free' on labels."

I was extremely disturbed to see a respected and normally medically accurate
news magazine liken the gluten-free diet to yet another flimsy and fleeting
dietary trend.  I'm certain that she would not have made such a comment about
the inclusion of label information concerning peanut content for those who are
allergic, or sugar amounts for those who are diabetic.  Clearly, this
author is
ignorant of the necessity, as well as difficulty, of the gluten-free diet for
those of us with Celiac Sprue.

I am planning to write a letter to the magazine concerning this article and
asking them to publish a correction.  I would encourage you to please do so as
well, as we have seen that the more "voices" that are heard, the harder they
are to ignore.

You can send letters to the Letters Editor at [log in to unmask], or by US
mail to:

Letters Editor
1050 Thomas Jefferson Street NW
Washington, DC  20007-3837

Perhaps if enough of us are proactive on this issue, we can turn an obvious
oversight into positive press for the Celiac condition!

Many thanks and the warmest of holiday wishes--
Jessica in Madison, WI