From:
Christie Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:52:11 EST

I have been GF for about 18 months, diagnosed through symptoms and DH - they
couldn't pay me to eat gluten again to do the biopsy.

Anyway, I have had some continual abdominal and back pains, but no more
celiac "symptoms" and could not get ANY general doctor or Gastroenologist to
"check" it out - just like the last 15years of being sick.

Luckily (I suppose;-) I had a kidney stone get "stuck" about 14 months ago
and had to go to a Urologist. I now needed to go see that Urologist again for
a one year check up (yes I'm late;-) to make sure I wasn't forming more
stones.

I mentioned my CD and he said 2 things:

1. one cause of kidney stone formation is a lack of a supplement (that I
can't recall (citrus?) and that Celiacs don't absorb this, or anything, very
well, and have to take supplements to treat the stones. And, usually once the
intestines start healing, the kidney stones start reducing in size on their
own without medication.

2. He also said "Lets also do a full spiral abdominal CT scan to make sure the
re's nothing else going on in there."

I about fell over - looks like I found a way to get at least some sort of
check to make sure I haven't got any tumors started - my worst fear since I
know 3 people now who have less than 6 months to live with intestinal or
colon cancer.

Just a thought that maybe a Urologist might be an option for those of us
wanting a look in there but can't get anyone else to do it. I hope this
doesn't cause any trouble, but it has been years since I slept this well,
knowing at least some kind of scan is being done.

Best of luck!
Chris