Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 22:28:15 -0400

My 5 year old son who is Celiac is required by the State to have a
DPT injection prior to the start of kindergarten.  I questioned his physician
if there was any gluten containing products in the serum.
His physician wrote and received a response "it could contain gluten".  I'm
at a dilemma whether to just go ahead and have the
immunization given to him anyway.  He did have a flu injection last
fall and suffered extreme hives for several months.  Nothing new was
introduced into his diet during this time.  He has since recovered from  all
hives.  Does anyone know if the DPT injections are safe and if they are not,
does he have to have one in the State of PA in order to attend public school?
 Our school system now states that in order to
receive a high-school diploma, you cannot be home schooled, nor can you take
part in any public school activity or sport, etc.  This is also for
handicapped students who cannot attend school.

Thank you for your help in advance.