From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 07:04:51 -0700

Due to the response for these recipes I am posting it to the list.  Since it
is modified with the GF flour and Xantham gum I hope I am not infringing on
copyrights.

GINGERBREAD

Cutout Cookies
**************
1 1/2 c dark molasses
1 c packed brown sugar
2/3 c cold water
1/3 c shortening ( I used golden crisco)
7 c Bette Hagman GF flour mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch)
5 tsp. Xantham gum
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
  Decorators Frosting

Mix molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.  I put these in the bowl
and turned on the mixer while I mixed the rest of the ingredients.  Mix in
remaining
ingredients except frosting.  Cover and refridgerate at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board (I used sweet
rice flour).  Cut with floured gingerbread or any cookie cutters.  Place
about 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake until no
indentation remains when touched, 10 to 12 minutes.  I was finding I was
taking them out at about 9 minutes.  Cool.  Frost or decorate with frosting.
Makes about 2 1/2 dz. 2 1/2 inch cookies.

Regular Cookies
***************
Decrease flour to 6 cups.  Roll dough 1/2 inch thick.  Bake about 15 minutes.

DECORATORS FROSTING
*******************

2 c powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp water

Mix adding 2 tbsp water and the third one as needed.  Should easily go into
decorators tube or hold shape.

I just split it 6 ways into little cups and colored them.  Put a butter
knife with each bowl and let the kids go to it.  We ended up with some very
colorful rainbow gingerbread men, santas, angels, trees, reindeer, etc. and
they had fun.

For those in Canada (Alberta) Redpath Icing sugar at IGA is GF.

SPRITZ

1 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 c Bette Hagman GF Flour mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp almond or vanilla extract

I never used Xantham gum with this one but it would probably not be as
crumbly if you did.  Use about 1 1/2 to 2 tsp.

Heat oven to 400.  Mix margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.  Mix in
remaining ingredients.

Place dough in cookie press, form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake until set but not brown, about 6 - 9 minutes.  Immediately remove from
cookie sheet, carefully.  About 5 dozen cookies.

Karen Bulmer - St. Albert, Alberta