From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:35:40 -0700

  Dear List:
  In response to my inquiry about a possible connection between gluten and the glutamine receptors being researched in connection with schizophrenia I received the following reply, which sounds authoritative, and which also sounds familiar.  From this and from another reply I received, I realize that the question comes up repeatedly on this list, probably from people who, like myself, are constantly seeking support for loved ones who are coping with complex illnesses.

  "Glutamate

  is an amino acid...The toxic protein to celiacs is gliadin..no relation.

  Some celiac to reaction to MSG and other hydrolyzed proteins but that is a different reaction than celiac and can affect celiacs & non-celiacs alike."

  The original post:  I saw in a recent issue of the NAMI newsletter reference to research being conducted by Daniel C. Javitt at the Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research in NY State.  A search yielded the following link:
  Ionotropic Glutamate Receptors as Therapeutic Targets
  Can anyone tell me whether the Ionotropic Glutamate Receptor is in any way related to gluten?

  Nancy in nyc