From:
Graven Water <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graven Water <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:24:28 -0400

Many people said that gluten-free diet helps with their arthritic joint
pain.  Yes, I know that.  I was having a lot of pain in both my knee that
has arthritis and joints without, before quitting my food intolerances.

The things that is somewhat surprising and new, though, is that medical
researchers think that inflammation and the immune system might have a
part in the actual destruction of cartilage that happens in
osteoarthritis.  see for example
http://www.dukemednews.org/news/article.php?id=7246

This is something that is being researched now.

I'm sure that *rheumatoid* arthritis is connected with celiac disease,
since it's an autoimmune problem and people's risk of other autoimmune
diseases is worse when they have CD.

They seemed to think that osteoarthritis might be worsened by inflammation
or by an up-regulated immune system.  Celiacs in general would probably
have both.  I'm pretty sure I have what would be considered an
"up-regulated immune system", with 53 inhalant allergies and food
intolerances to almost everything I used to eat more than once a year.

So basically, other less-well-understood kinds of immune responses, like
whatever is going on with food intolerance, might be causing arthritis -
just as the rheumatoid arthritis autoimmune attack does.

I'm getting tested for rheumatoid arthritis - what I have might be most
likely osteoarthritis because it happened in a joint that was injured.

By the way there are hyaluronic acid injections that help with arthritis
that I'll get - if I don't get sick from them!  it's made from chicken and
poultry is one of my food intolerances.

Laura