From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:39:02 -0700

I don't read comic strips, but my 9 year old son (that has celiac) does.  We're talking yesterday and he tells me how the comic with the girl that has no nose talks about gluten-free.  I was so surprised.  He was kind of excited about it.  (The Comic Strip is "Cathy")

It seems to me that the word gluten seems so foreign to the average person that when I see something like this, it makes me wonder about the writer.

The strip talks about 4th of July and how she's eating all these healthy things like fat free, low fat, etc.  Then she says she ate:

"a lite tofu dog on a wheat-free, gluten-free bun"

There's a picture of the hot dogs with a sign in them saying "wheat-free, gluten-free".

In the end she eats a whole bunch of un-healthy food.  Regular 4th of July fare.  Her finale:

"To some, "healthy alternatives," to me, "healthy appetizers".

Sorry to bore you, I just got a kick out of seeing this in a paper.

Sidona