Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:15:08 EST

Does anyone know of an expert studying the relationship between celiac
disease and short stature? I had always believed the cause of poor growth to
be malabsorption; however, my 11-yr-old son has been gf for 10 1/2 years and
is stuck at  3rd percentile for height, despite having tall parents and bone
age scans showing 2 1/2 years of unrealized growth potential. He recently had
formal growth hormone testing, which revealed he has sufficient growth
hormone but insufficient IGF protein (whose job it is to carry the growth
hormone into the cells). I'd like to know the current medical thinking about
the cause of short stature in some celiacs and to know if any studies are
being done on this topic.

Many thanks  for you help,

Holly Baker
Media, PA