From:
Ian & Donna Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 14:52:43 +1000

Hello List and especially Aussies. I was really encouraged by so many of
you (all Australian but one and ALL so helpful) replying to my request on
shortcuts for producing an easy loaf in the Breville machine. It is my
thought that the recipe in the Breville book is for producing a loaf that
is as 'similar' as possible, for a gf one, to a normal white loaf. However,
on the suggestion of one who replied- just putting a  500g packet of Basco
gf Breadmix with the liquid specified on the plastic pack and I turned on
the machine. Oh, by the way, it was suggested I grease the baking pan first
with a cooking spray. Was really pleased with the result (my husband who
does not have CD tried it and likes it). I thought what was left of that
loaf was good for toasting and it was.

Today I tried another brand of gf bread mix "Freedom Foods" Loaf Mix. This
comes in a 660gm plastic bag and has enough for 2 loaves. Again all I did
was put [half of] the bag contents in the machine with the liquid specified
(and it also said to add a 7gm sachet of dry yeast) and turned on the
machine! Again I was very pleased with the result. My husband thought it
lacked the taste of the Basco mix but the texture was better, more even and
finer. I thought it would be good for me to cut thin and have as sandwich
bread. This 'Freedom Foods' mix has more a 'brown' bread taste and works
out a bit cheaper than the Basco gf breadmix, which you might expect,
containing 2 loaves worth of mix.

Many of you sent your recipes for bread and tips on how things work for
you. Also I got a lot of help in the area of supermarket shopping. Our
local small supermarket had in stock the Arnotts brand rice cookie. This is
great to be able to buy off the shelf so readily as I am not one to be
always baking and I have a sweet tooth. I thought to jazz up the biscuit
one could put some icing between 2 biscuits because they are sweet, but
plain. Woolworths and Safeway supermarkets were recommended in being able
to buy gf products off the shelf, in terms of the range of products inc.
pastas etc, and they are found in the health food aisles. There's more that
I could type in here but this summary would end up being rather long.

Once again I would like to thank you all and encourage Aussies to keep
posting to the List so we might all learn something! ..even the most basic
of ideas might be the  very suitable one for someone...
Donna Murray
Victoria, Australia