Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 05:51:56 -0700

Like others I have seen numerous posts regarding DNA
testing for celiac disease.  I have also read several web
pages that offer it.  What I haven't read or seen is what
type of information people are receiving with respect to
how the information may be used, once it exists.

There have been several cases of the results of genetic
tests being used by employers to discriminate in promotion,
or by insurers to deny health or life insurance coverage.

Federal law bars insurers from requiring employees to pay
more for their health insurance if they have had such tests
(or particular illnesses), this law in not applicable if
you are an individual who purchases insurance on their own.
 (The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
of 1996 also known as HIPAA).

Personally, when our son was in the diagnostic stage of CD
he had to be tested for cystic fibrosis - a genetic
illness. Knowing that the test might reveal that he had the
illness and in this case the gene, we paid for the test out
of pocket so that the information would not be in the hands
of our insurer.  Because the results of such tests "reveal"
information about other family members, it has the
potential to affect them, too.

I present this information simply to say, that if you do
undergo such tests, please ask who will get this
information.  Note that if your insurance pays for the
testing, and the insurance is provided through an employer,
the employer may have access to the information.

Genetic counseling covers issues like these, and should be
offered along with the testing.

Andrea