From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 10:18:30 -0800

Regarding the recent postings on food labeling, I thought I would add
my 2 cents.  Last spring sometime I talked to a representative from the
FDA.  I asked about gluten labeling and he said because it is a
naturally occurring ingredient, it does not have to be labeled
separately.  He said the FDA just enforces the labeling laws and any
changes would have to come from Congress.  I felt he was being straight
with me.

I was wondering if the celiac population of the United States has a
lobbyist or representative in Washington, D.C.  Does anybody know?  You
can bet the large corporations/manufacturers do.

I also wondered if anyone from New Zealand could give us any input on
how they accomplished their gluten labeling laws.  I really think the
labeling laws could be better for everyone, not just celiacs, but of
course gluten is our area of interest.

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.

Lisa