From:
ROSALIE F JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:17:49 -0500

I have a puzzling question that I wonder if we can toss out for discussion.
Perhaps the listowners can also post this to the CELPRO list for the
doctors' opinions.

Here goes--If you have a celiac in your family and CHOOSE to go entirely
gluten-free in your home (meaning everyone eats gluten-free at all meals),
and you do this for a number of years, what would happen if one of your
family moves out and starts ingesting gluten on a full-basis??  Would your
body (that has only been exposed to gf foods) be able to handle the
onslaught of gluten-containing foods, such as commercial foods full of
stabilizers and emulsifiers etc.?  Is your villi affected by being
introduced to new foods?  I guess I'm referrring to the families with a
pre-disposition to CD.  I need to know if one would be harming the rest of
the family by putting them all on a gluten-free diet which is sometimes
done for convenience sake.

In essence, I guess I am asking if we would be setting our families up for
a disaster!

Does my question make sense to everyone???

By the way, I am posting for a good friend who is  put everyone in the
family on the diet for the past nine years. She was unable to ask this
question at the confernce this weekend, which she really wanted to do so I
volunteered to post here.

 I WILL summarize the responses to this question.

Thanks to all,

Rosalie