From:
Arthur Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:03:33 -0500

Having just been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, can some one tell me the
frequency of intestinal test that are recommended?

The answers ranged from six months to three years and never.

You should only have to have one biopsy test, After you have been on the
diet for awhile, they may want to do a lower GI with barium, or another form
of "look at," but you shouldn't have to have another biopsy.

Usually the Dr will recommend at least once per year for a Blood Test and
every 3 three years for a Endoscope!

Our dr. recommends a follow-up blood test 6 months after going gluten
free....then yearly after that.

Our doctor recommends annual blood tests

I was biopsied again three months after the first time, when I was
diagnosed.  Then a year later, just blood work was done

Usually, after about 6 months or more on a gluten free di

If you are speaking of endoscopy, that really doesn't have to be redone
unless you continue to have problems after a couple of years.  The blood
tests should be done periodically

Biopsies are not usually redone unless there are problems that don't resolve
even though the diet is g.f.

I was just at a celiac conference at Stanford, and the doctors did not
recommend retesting if the Gluten free diet is
working.

Now that you know you are a celiac, why would you need to be tested again &
what for?  Some gastroenterologists want to retest to see if the villi are
rebuilding, etc. I think it is mostly unnecessary. You know you are healing
by the way you feel.

Once for celiac is enough as it's not going away, the only thing that needs
to go away is denial.

Art