From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 16:42:35 -0500

At 01:01 PM 2/22/96 -0500, Janelle Kozloski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We just started our autistic son Jason on a G/F C/F diet on Sunday.  I've
>been reading all of the ingredients listed on everything.  I found some hot
>dogs that seem to be ok.  They are Shofar Kosher beef frankfurters.  The
>ingredients are beef, water, salt, spices, paprika, garlic powder, sodium
>erythorbate, hydrolyzed soy protein, natural flavorings, and sodium nitrite.
>Are these ok for him to eat?

I see two things in the list that are suspicious:

(1) the "hydrolyzed soy protein", while GF, is a form of MSG. There are
reports that MSG can get through the blood brain barrier of a child under
the age of puberty. This has been discussed here in the past in the context
of aspartame/Nutrasweet. More on this can be found on Mark Gold's web page:
http://www.tiac.net/users/mgold/msg/msg.html. He will also e-mail articles
to those who want. Reach him at: [log in to unmask]

(2) "Natural flavorings" can be HVP, which can be from a gluten grain. The
only way to determine whether it is, or isn't, is to call the company and
hope that they tell the truth.

>What about other lunch meats?  Are regular store bought lunch meats ok to
>eat?

Generally not. We had a discussion a while back on Boars Head. They said a
few had gluten, and most didn't. However, all of them are loaded with MSG.
That is why they can advertise them as being so good tasting.

Some roast beefs from other companies have caramel color to which I've had a
reaction. Ham may be the safest bet, but my store bastes the outside with a
baste without an ingredient list. Smoke flavored hams are questionable and
Hormel Cure|81 Ham had gluten in the "Natural Juices".

Don Wiss.