From:
Kathleen Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:10:16 -0600

I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my e-mail about how to
handle receiving chocolates from a well meaning young man who knew I was GF
but had apparently not realized I was also CF.

Survey said that it truly is the thought that counts, and most asked why I
felt the need to tell him.  (Answer, so this didn't happen again, which
would have been even more awkward.)

Several suggested I thank him appropriately now, and mention in July that
Casein had come up as a problem since I saw him last -- an approach I liked
a lot!

I sent him an appropriate thank you, and received a reply back today saying
he had hoped the chocolates were okay, it was after all the thought that
counts and he had been a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to eat them!

Since he opened the door I went ahead and mentioned that I had seen my
doctor two weeks ago and we agreed that removing gluten and casein from my
diet meant there were fewer things I could eat these days.  (A nice truthful
remark that omits how long I've known about casein! ;) )

Things seem to be great -- thanks to everyone for the advice!

Several people suggested that I be sure and tell him that the chocolates
were not thrown away or wasted, that they went to a good place (my parents
as a late Valentine! ;) )  Everyone suggested I emphasize the
thoughtfullness of the gift, and not overwhelm him with my dietary
restrictions as they are hard enough for me to keep track of and it must be
even harder for someone who doesn't have to live with it every day.

So things seem to be great!

THANKS!

kathleen