From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:54:54 -0500

Had a pre-Thanksgiving feast at work today.
I made the stuffing and diced salad. There was easily enough stuffing for about 15 people and enough salad for about 10...as a side dish. We had lots of food.

I made the chestnut stuffing last night and brought it to work to be reheated.
I baked Bette Hagman's challah in bread machine. When done, I sliced it and put slices on a pan, in a low heat (250 degrees F) oven just to dry it out. Then diced. Mixed whole loaf of cubes and crumbs with 3 large beaten eggs, about a cup of chicken broth (kept adding water until moistened but not soaking), diced celery, diced carrots, diced onions, diced and crushed cloves of garlic, chestnuts that I roasted in an oven at 350 until they popped (have to slit them before roasting, then the slit pops open when done), salt, pepper, herbs....I had fresh oregano, rosemary and tarragon from what's left of my herb garden, plus storebought dried stuff...paprika, thyme, whatever was in the closet. I baked it for about 45 minutes, part of the time covered, and part uncovered. I didn't want it to burn, but brown alittle. At work, we heated it up again, with drippings from the turkey that they kept gf until I took my portion.
(Note, when the bread was first cooking in the stuffing, there was a distinct rice bread odor that I thought would kill the flavor of the stuffing, but with chicken broth and then the turkey gravy, it tasted great, and no one really paid attention to the fact that it was gf.)
(Usually I use Paskesz Pesach crumbs...potato mix, as the base for my stuffings, but this crowd doesn't go for gf stuff, so I tried to make a real looking stuffing with the bread cubes and breadcrumbs. It WORKED! And I even got compliments.)

Diced salad....learned from trip to Israel.
Diced up one each...green pepper, yellow pepper, red pepper, med.-large onion, several firm tomatoes, 1 med.-large cucumber, a handful of radishes, celery....whatever is crunchy and fresh and colorful. Added salt, pepper, about one tablespoon sugar, and several generous sprinkles of Heinz garlic vinegar. Any vinegar that you eat is fine, but I like garlic. This was a hit, since all of the other side dishes were soft stuff...this was crunchy and colorful.

Incidentally, they fried one turkey in one of those deep friers that you have to use outdoors. Used peanut oil. Inside, so we'd have gravy and leftovers, they roasted a turkey breast.