From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:30:00 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to my confusion about whether gluten on
the skin is bad or okay. Once again, the people on the list have proved to
be generous, informed, and an invaluable source of help. Thanks!

One person said she's able to make wheat-containing bread for her daughter
with no bad results.

One person repeated a post I must have missed from Dr. Murray, saying that
gluten must be ingested to cause a Celiac reaction. She classified herself
as very sensitive, with both Celiac and DH, but said she has never had a
problem with cosmetics, creams and so on. Someone else said it is her
impression that the protein molecules associated with CD problems are too
large to get through the skin.

Another person pointed out that some (scientists? lay people? I do not
know) disagree with Dr. Murray.

Others, however, reported rashes, hives, and various other bad reactions
from gluten-containing skin and hair care products. There was one report of
CD symptoms from inhaling flour,fragranes etc. Several people said that
small cuts, sores, abrasions and so forth on the skin surface can make for
exposure to the offending substance.

It is not clear to me that the immune reaction that occurs when the gliadin
factor hits the small intestine would also be triggered by gliadin in the
blood. Seems possible that it could, but in the interests of accurate
summary, I must report that no one cited cause and effect evidence.

Last, a number of people said that problems encounted with face creams,
cosmetics and so on are attributable to unnoticed ingestion---we lick our
lips,swallow a little saliva contaminated with gluten-containing toothpaste
or put fingers in our mouths and bingo!

Personally, I am going to stick with the gluten free if only because I
don't want to have to remember to wash my hands carefully every time I
shampoo or clean my face!

Thanks again -

Mary Brown
NYC