From:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:46:34 -0500

Hi folks!
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far! I guess I should have been
more specific as to what I am wondering about. I'm trying to figure out
whether my son has always been IgA deficient or whether it is an acquired
condition, in his case [I understand it can be either].

I am also aware IgA is not uncommon in people with CD [Dr Green has it
pegged at 0.2% of those in the general population, and 3% of those with CD
being IgA deficient].

My son's total IgA was not tested at the time of his initial diagnosis two
years ago, only his IgA-tTg was checked. He had a positive IgA-tTg so was
then biopsied & CD was confirmed.

It was in the process of determining what is causing his current problems
that his total IgA was checked and it turns out he is deficient.

I am aware that people with IgA deficiency should not test positive for
IgA-tTG. What I'm wondering is if this is an absolute given,or whether it is
possible to test positive but it would be an innacurate reflection of the
level of the problem, or our lab made a mistake re his IgA-tTG? Hope this is
clearer:-)

cheers Aggi-Rose