From:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:43:26 -0400

I just had a very disappointing conversation with Stephanie at Utz Foods.  The Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips are mislabeled and there should be an allergen warning on them for MILK and WHEAT.  The chips are packaged on the same line as the Utz Party Mix which contains pretzels and cheese nacho chips.  The bags are in the process of being properly labeled, but the date that these bags would hit the shelf is unknown.

I also inquired whether this occurs with other products.  Stephanie affirmed that it does with the whole tortilla chip line.   Those with wheat or milk allergies should AVOID all their tortilla corn chips, including the organic line.

There are three buildings for manufacturing at the plant.  One is dedicated to pretzels; the second one processes potato and corn chips; and the third building manufactures the rice crisps and other specialty snacks.  None of the gluten free products are processed in dedicated facilities.  The possibility for cross contamination is the highest with the tortilla chips and the lowest with the rice crisps.  The rice crisps are made on their own dedicated line.  Stephanie said the lines are given a thorough cleaning, but occasionally "things slip through".

I expressed my concern over changes in manufacturing practices before proper documentation on the product bag.  Stephanie apologized and related that the relabeling of the bags is a slow process.  She recommended calling their customer care department to inquire about possible undeclared allergens before eating any of their products.

You can reach their customer care department at (800) 367-7629.

Susan Halter

"In giving you are throwing a bridge across the chasm of your solitude."   St. Antoine de Exupery