From:
Diane Caleca McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Caleca McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:54:13 -0400

Carnation Instant Breakfast I wanted to pass this info along.....I have been informed in the past by Nestle that they list all allergens (even before the new labeling law).  At home I have Carnation Instant Breakfast Ready to Drink which is a Nestle product.  There is nothing on the label indicating gluten.  I recently saw a post on the listserv which stated that this product is not gluten free. I went to their website and looked up the product ingredients and no allergens were listed.  So I emailed them and got the generic response, I emailed again stating that the label does not list barley which they show on the email as an ingredient.  I received the response below.  So I just called them, they informed me that they are in the process of changing the ingredient statement on the website to include barley, and that the new product being produced will also show barley on the label.  The old product will not show it on the label.
I then transferred over to the candy division because I have always bought Nestle candy with the understanding that the allergens would be listed.  I was assured by them that the allergens have always been listed even if the gluten was part of artificial/natural flavorings.  This applies to the candy and the baking products.  This was a relief because I use their products for baking and have always let my son eat the Nestle candy after reading the label and checking for allergens.  They could not explain why the Carnation Instant Breakfast division differed in that area but again assured me that all candy products and baking products have always listed the allergens on the label.
No one could answer my question as to why I've been told in the past that all Nestle products lists their allergens when obviously the divisions are different.  With the new labeling law that will take care of it I suppose but in the meantime since there are still alot of products on the shelf that were produced prior to January 2006, we still need to be careful about the products we buy.