From:
Dave Westheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:20:24 -0600

Laurel's summary on rice contained the following, from an unnamed writer:

> Enriched rice has added nutrients (all gf) - no barley.  If there is
> barley on the rice, it would have to be listed in the ingredients.

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true.

Vitamins don't exist by themselves in naure. There is no Vitamin C plant, no
niacin tree. These have to be extracted from another source (animal,
vegetable or mineral), and the source could possibly be a gluten-containing
plant.

And the source does not have to be listed on the label, at least in the US.
Neither does the carrier, if there is one. Think about it: neither Mahatma
or Uncle Ben's list the source of the enrichment on their labels, we know
from inquiring that they are gluten free. That "Natural Vitamin E"  from
Archer Daniels Midland comes from soy, according to their ads; but you won't
see that source listed on the box of a product containing it.

There's nothing to be paranoid about, just use common sense and check with
the manufacturer of any "enriched" product.

Dave Westheimer
Minneapolis, MN USA