From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:10:15 -0800

Over the 8 years that I've been on this list, there have been certain
subjects that bring out the worst in people.  Sometimes people ask questions
and get harassing e-mails "just for asking".  Other times people get rude
e-mails for stating an opinion.  People on this list should be kind and
respectful, always.

I have a comment and I mean it in the most respectful way.  It is just
possible that people with Celiac Disease can have a reaction to something
that is gluten-free.  I would be a little concerned when claiming that
because you have a reaction, it must have gluten in it.  I have met many
people with Celiac Disease that have allergies to many other foods,
including natural foods from the ground, such as spinach.

My son, who has Celiac Disease, had a reaction to Canola Oil a long time
ago.  After reading all the research on Canola Oil, I don't believe it has
gluten in it.  I believe that my son has a reaction to Canola Oil, so we
avoid it.  I believe that people can all come to their own conclusions, but
be careful to state them as fact.

I had met someone recently with Celiac and she said it's a shame that she
can never have pickles again, because her daughter told her that vinegar has
gluten in it.  Her daughter told her this as fact, so she was never going to
eat a pickle again.  I won't go in to the vinegar thing, but just want to
point out how easily people's opinions, if stated as fact, can mislead
people.

I honestly hope this doesn't offend, but helps open people's minds a little.

Sidona/San Diego