Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:23:23 -0800

Since I can't seem to get a definite yes or no on the
GF status of Pepcid AC (I know that it is listed on
the gluten free drugs site, but I've also seen several
places where it may not actually be gluten-free) I
decided to contact the company. Below is their
response. As you will see, they do not list it with
their GF products, but they claim that it is fine for
celiacs. I think everyone is just going to have to
make a judgement call for themselves.
___________

Dear Angela:

Thank you for visiting our website.  We hope you
became more familiar with our PEPCID (TM) AC and
COMPLETE products during your visit to the site.

Glutens are naturally occuring proteins found in
grains such as wheat, rye, barley and oats, but are
not found in corn. The source of starch contained in
Pepcid AC and Pepcid Complete is corn. Other inactive
ingredients, for example flavors, may be derived from
a source other than corn.

We are not aware of published reports associating the
use of Pepcid AC and Pepcid Complete with a worsening
of symptoms in patients with celiac disease.

In reference to your inquiry concerning the gluten
content in our products, I have listed below the
products which have been tested and do not contain
detectable levels of gluten.

Children's TYLENOL (TM) Cold Plus Cough Chewable
Tablets
Children's TYLENOL (TM) Suspension Grape Flavored
Liquid
Extra Strength TYLENOL (TM) Caplets
Extra Strength TYLENOL (TM) PM Gelcaps
Imodium (TM) AD Caplets
Infants' TYLENOL (TM) Cherry Concentrated Drops
Children's Motrin (TM) Cold Non-Staining Dye Free Oral
Suspension
Children's Motrin (TM) Non-Staining Dye Free Oral
Suspension
Infants' Motrin (TM) Non-Staining Dye Free
Concentrated Drops
Lactaid (TM) Original Strength Caplets
Lactaid (TM)  Ultra Caplets
Maximum Strength TYLENOL (TM) Allergy Sinus Caplets
Sesame Street™ Complete Vitamins and Minerals
Tylenol (TM) Arthritis Pain Extended Relief Caplets

For the remainder of McNeil's products:
Glutens are naturally-occurring proteins found in
grains such as wheat, rye, barley and oats, but are
not found in corn.  The source of starch in this
formulation is corn.  Other inactive ingredients may
be derived from a source other than corn.  We are not
aware of published reports associating the use of our
products according to package label directions with a
worsening of symptoms in patients with celiac disease.

We hope this information is helpful.

Tracey Ely
PEPCID AC Consumer Relationship Center