From:
Paris Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:29:31 -0400

About two weeks ago I asked if depression can be a symptom of celiac. I
got an overwhelming response "yes" Some of the posts were confidential,
but I am sharing a few.

Paris

YES!  Depression is a sure sign of Celiac!  I have been on anti-
depresssants for over 6 years.  I though I would be on anti-depressants
for the rest of my life, I didn't want to face life another day without
them!  I have been GF since December 2000.  I was taking 150 mg of
Effexor every day at that time.

In April, I was feeling funny, decreased my Effexor to 75 mg a day.
Last week, I went to 37.5 mg a day...I am feeling great!  I know the
facts list depression as a symptom, but I never dreamed that symptom
would disappear so quickly!  I haven't felt this good in 30 years!

---

YES, Yes, Yes!  My  husband was severely depressed and near suicidal 2
years ago while we were struggling to find a diagnosis!  Now one of his
(and many others') gluten symptoms is depression and fatigue.

--

Absolutley depression can be a symptom  of cd, as can mood swinds,
joint pain, 'tummy aches', brain fog'.......

---

My main symptom of Celiac was depression

----

Anyhow, depression is a known possible symptom, of untreated disease
(something to do with interference with certain hormones etc..).

----

Celiac is basically a disease of malabsorption, resulting in chemical
imbalance in the body.  So, yes, depression is and can be a sign of
Celiac disease.  Yes, there are many causes for depression.  We are all
aware of post-partum depression, which is also a chemical imbalance.  I
believe the same sort of conditions exist for Celiacs when our stores of
trace and basic chemicals reach low levels.

---

http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/depr.txt
http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/inflam.txt