From:
Cecilia Vohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:47:21 -0800

Listmates:

Sorry for the delay on the summary.  I just didn't get too many responses.  I
still don't trust the "commercial" manufacturers since cross-contamination is
an issue.  Here are the responses I received concerning a gluten-free corn
flake cereal or ANY good gluten-free cereal:

---

Ralston Sun Flakes are GF and you should be able to find them in your local
market

---

You can get very good ones (gf) called "Sun Flakes" from Ralston Co. in
Mascutah, IL. They are the best ones I have found.

---

And this is a response I received warning me of Health Valley Rice
Crunch ems:

I used the Health Valley Rice Crunch ems , added nothing else to my
scrupulous diet and got very sick......so I was so sad to believe this, I
woke one morning about 4 am and had just a handful to test with nothing on
them and I suffered all day.  Needless to say you are not missing anything
from Health Valley.  I had noted when I bought them that nowhere on the box
was there a sign of a gluten free notice so I called them and verified gf.
THEY AREN'T

---

Check out this web-page:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html

[I checked this Web site, and it listed Barbara's Corn Flakes (this is the
company I called to begin with, and they said they could not guarantee their
gluten-free status due to cross-contamination).  This Web site also listed
Health Valley Blue Corn Flakes.  I sent a post expressing my frustration at
not being able to find Health Valley Blue Corn Flakes where I live; hence,
the following response.]

---

Consider yourself lucky that you cannot find Health Valley Blue Corn Flakes.
They are absolutely horrible tasting.  I am slowly using up mine in "bran"
muffins.  They make a very mediocre muffin, but it's better than wasting
food.  I really should have taken then back to the store and got my money
back.

---

Thanks again to all who responded!

Cecilia