Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:56:23 -0700

So many people have written me concerned about the GF status of Westsoy and
convinced that I must have missed something, please let me explain, perhaps
more clearly this time, why I am personally going to be very suspicious of
anything they tout as GF.

When I spoke to the very nice young lady (apparently a brunette who was
auditioning for the part of a blonde in a joke) at Westbrae, who make
Westsoy, she professed to know all about celiac and GF.  She told me that
only their lo fat vanilla, lite soy, and Westsoy Plus were GF.  But as she
spoke she said she'd be happy to send me a pamphlet listing all their
"many" GF products.  Well, when the pamphlet arrived Friday, it clearly
stated across the top that this was a listing of all their "wheat free"
products and specifically said they may contain gluten.  Perhaps this young
lady has not actually read their publication.

Now, in addition to this, I noted that they make, and list on their wheat
free pamphlet, two brown rice syrups, both of which clearly say they
contain barley enzymes, which is what apparently gave me the problems; and
every Westsoy or Westbrae milk substitute I've looked at so far lists one
of these sugars in the ingredients.  All of them also say the "Brown rice
enzyme is converted with fungal enzyme" or "contains brown rice syrup
converted with a purified barley enzyme).  (I don't know what that means
other than sounding ultimately unappetizing :)  I have a box of Westsoy
Lite Soy Beverage here in my hand as we speak, so to speak.  She insisted
this one was GF, BUT listed in its ingredients is Brown Rice Syrup.  Now I
would suppose since they make their own, that they use their own brown rice
sugar, and they clearly tell me it contains barley enzymes.

So, Dr. Watson, what can you deduce from this set of facts?  All my best.
-vance