From:
Pam Kelb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:15:31 -0500

I've talked to the home management at Carrabba's about carrying pizza and breadsticks for celiacs.  They considered my request but - they did not feel they could use their regular pizza oven as pieces of crust fall off onto the floor from the regular pizzas.  I agreed - but I made the point that it would be so nice to be able to just go to their restaurant and just have pizza whenever, as well as being able to have our bread to dunk into their wonderful olive oil.  The person I talked to - Bill Cato(?) hope I spelled it right was very understanding - but -   I think that they need to hear from many others as well as myself- that celiacs are a growing group and will not be just a "flash in the pan" as far as accommodating our special needs.  He was quite concerned about liability issues -as well -
I told him that to do pizza themselves they'd need to literally close down their kitchen area, clean it and then only use our flours in an allotted timespan as well as have dedicated pans and other utensils; also, it appears a dedicated pizza oven (Believe my original email said how I'd like to enjoy their wood fired pizza.)  From a business point of view this would be a major expense and they would need to be able to rely on consistent business to offset the costs and maintain a decent profit level.  If you feel that you would like them to consider this pls go to their website and use the contact us to leave a message for Mr. Cato.  I believe the sheer numbers we have as a group can be a powerful force in the marketplace to help achieve more satisfying experiences when we dine out.
By the way, I almost died from this disease and am very sensitive to even the tiniest amount of gluten - I have yet to have a bad experience at Carrabba's.  Also he did mention that we could bring our own bread for dipping....yes!
Until then Celiac Specialties has just started carrying takeout pizza on Mondays - either already cooked! or ready to be cooked.  My non-celiac husband has given it his seal of approval(high praise from him!)   They also carry pizza crust mixes if - like me - you cannot get there all the time.  She makes her own pizza sauce and puts on green pepper, onion, mushroom or pepperoni to your request if you call ahead.
I have no financial interest in either of these places but probably should at the rate I eat their goodies.