Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:54:27 -0600

The sample size is very small (10 replies, some not on subject) so it
appears that most Celiacs are not taking any digestive enzymes, prescription
or otherwise. This seems to indicate that most respond to the GF diet alone.
This increases my concern that we have something in addition to or instead
of Celiac, though one responder said their doctor believes it can take years
to recover completely. It is not clear, but it seems that those who reacted
badly to prescription enzymes did not experiment with dosages, timing, or
brands, and that may be the key to feeling well when enzymes supplements are
needed (e.g. to take a little at the start of the meal, some in the middle,
and the rest at the end, rather than all at once...). For now we will
continue using Pancrease MT20 prescription enzymes as even one missed dose
is very noticeable. Thanks for the support and feedback.

1 person took Viocase briefly, but feels better now taking HCL supplement.

1 person uses a health food store version called Country Life Super Strength
Pancreatin because the prescription version caused stomach pains.

1 person said that enzymes did nothing for them

1 person said the enzymes caused nausea and diarrhea

1 person suggested the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschalt,
with dietary guidelines for ulcerative colits and Crohn's that may be
helpful for Celiacs as well.

1 person sugested trying food for your bloodtype
http://www.nickelranch.com/eatright/content/htm

1 person asks whether other Celiacs are sensitive to sulfites and msg

====
The Shugharts
21 County Road 3024
Oxford, MS 38655