From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 23:38:37 +0000

I noted A. Levario's latest e-mail on the task force.

Is any one familiar or are you ,Andrea, familiar with grain alcohols or
vinegars that may contain gluten, present in foods at 2 percent or less
which are exempted from disclosure if they fall within the exemptions
contained in 21CFR101.100 (as exemptions to 21CFR101.4)?.

Source:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm

Are the exemptions contained in 21CFR101.100 being addressed by the task
force as an area for concern and change?

It has been difficult for me to get any company to admit it when claim the
responsibility is on their suppliers (i.e., proprietary to supplier)  or
refuse to tell me the information because it is an exemption in
21CFR101.100.  I had a meat company tell me that a grain vinegar is added to
their modified food starch but because it is 2 percent or less, their
supplier does not have to disclose it.  Of course, I could not confirm if
this grain vinegar had any possibility to contain gluten.  Also,  a spice
manufacturer told me that gluten can be added  if less than 2 percent of the
product if it adds no nutritional value.  This spice manufacturer said that
gluten is added to spices as fillers.

Laura Y.