From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:01:47 -0500

This is my response to David and Crystal and their willingness to
have a parent live with them, should the need for care ever arise.

There are surely many elderly celiacs who have no children or who
cannot live with any of their children for any one of a number of
reasons.  I cared for my parents in my home for almost two years.
Finally, the stress of a full time job, a husband who traveled, a
teen aged son, and my parents' illnesses began to take a toll on MY
health.  In desperation I found a senior housing unit near us, and
visited them every afternoon, then had them with us for one day every
weekend. That pattern continued for eight years. With that plan, I
got some sleep and managed to keep it all balanced.

Some people are easy to have around, and others are very demanding
and difficult.  That does not mean they are not loved, it means that
care givers must be realistic.

Now my parents are gone, and it is I who will eventually need care.
I do not want to live in the home of either of my children.  I want
to continue to feel a certain sense of independence.  That is why I'm
looking around for a future home that will keep me at least partly on
my own.

We all have to make our own choices in this world, and what works for
one is not necessarily what will work for another.

Gayle Kennedy